Anyone Else Feeling the Shove?

{The sunset before the storm}

Recently I heard Jimmy Evans, one of my favorite marriage guru guys, say, “If the devil can’t stop you, He will push you.”
Ugh.
I constantly feel the enemy’s pointy fingers pressing against my back on a daily basis.
Jimmy continued his message with, “You can either pray or worry. If you don’t pray, you will worry.”
Good night. I felt Jimmy’s words were pointed right at me, the wimpy worrier. I do stress myself out—and it drives me nuts.
I know God’s got our current situation—the one where our house sprang major leaks after hurricane Irma pummeled South Florida during the month of September in 2017. We had leaks so bad my hubby staggered buckets and beach towels along our terrazzo floor to prevent our kiddos from slipping. A month or so later around the end of October, our insurance company denied our claim because the inspector said there was “no visible opening” in our roof.
We have a cement roof.
Yep, cement.
Our hurricane inspector actually said, “I wouldn’t rip this roof off, it’s a fortress!”
Mind you, he never stepped foot in our attic to take a look at the water damage underneath our said fortress, but he did shine his handy flashlight into our bathroom closet and pointed out that we had an icky, black mold-ring the size of a chair cushion from where water had dripped away.

{Water-soaked wood}

For months water continued to dribble through our roof each time it rained. That’s when we contacted a mold company who told us, “You know, your insurance should cover this.” Should being the iffy word here, but nonetheless, we’ve played the insurance phone-tag game for months trying to get another inspector to come out and actually walk through our attic and document our mold, since we had found out that the last inspector had never even submitted photos of the mold to our insurance.
Is anyone else’s blood boiling yet?
Just me?
This is the point where my flesh is screaming, where my Jesus-loving nature is being pushed so hard I’m about to lose my witness.
We’re creeping up to five months breathing in mold. I’ve called my insurance company, trying to get them to take another look. Where there’s sitting water, mold grows. We even paid for a mold inspection, and company said they can now detect some in our kitchen.
This isn’t good.
But I can still hear Jimmy’s words, “Dabney, you can either pray or worry. If you don’t pray, you will worry.”

1. Don’t. Want. To. Worry. Anymore.

Who’s with me? Who’s tired of worrying if their job will come through, if the sickness will heal, if the bills will get paid, if our child will finally pick the right path? If they will ever get married?
If there are any other fellow worriers who want to kick the enemy out of their head, please speak up. I don’t know about you, but when I worry, I stress myself into a mess. That’s when I re-read more notes I’d taken from Jimmy’s message:
“Stress robs the joy of life.”
“Stress causes emotional fatigue.”
“Stress robs your job, your time.”
“Stress causes sickness.”
“If the devil can’t stop you, He’ll push you too fast.”
And I knew that’s exactly what’s been happening. Satan knows if I feel shoved, I’ll stress out and my head will spin, making me one crummy mommy.
But not today. I’m giving God all my stress:
I know my leaky, moldy roof will be fixed.
God’s got this, along with my other worries.
I know our rental house will sell.
God’s got this.
I know we’ll find the perfect duplex to purchase and find solid, long-term renters.
God’s got this.
I know my husband’s crazy, busy job will mellow out, and he’ll finally find a healthy balance.
God’s got this.
And you know what?
He’s got your stressor, too.
Today’s the day we fight back. If two or more walk together, He is there. Who wants to join forces and pray for those pushy fingers of the enemy to fall off your back? I’m planning a military guard against this invasion, one that starts with a circle of my sweet family holding hands, and believing these problems are solved. I’d also covet the prayers of my precious prayer warriors to believe with me that God has this situation covered.
“The Lord is on my side. I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
Psalm 118:6
God’s on your side. He just said so. ; )
We can either pray, or worry. Today let’s pray so we don’t worry.
Feel my pointy fingers, Satan? They’re pushing right back, Mr. Shovey-man.
(Said with the love and grace of Jesus, of course.)

{We’re not worrying}

“Rejoice always, pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances;for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”
~1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

1. Barbara Behl

March 1st, 2018 at 3:32 pm

Yes, definitely feeling the shove right now. But won’t give in to Satan’s shove. Standing firm in God’s Word in HIs shoes of peace on my feet. Standing firm with you girl! Thanks! Barbara

2. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:58 am

Amen! Standing firm with you!!! If we are following God, I think it’s normal to feel the shove. The enemy hates what we are doing. God bless you!

3. Bill Sweeney

March 1st, 2018 at 3:33 pm

I’m so sorry you have to deal with mold… Really dangerous stuff. But, you are so right, God’s got this, Dabney. He hasn’t brought you through trial after trial to abandon you now!
    I am forwarding this post to Mary, the worrier, I know it will minister to her. And, we will be praying for this situation to be resolved quickly.

4. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:57 am

Seriously, you guys are amazing, Bill. Thank you. God is good, but you already know this. He hasn’t brought us through all of this to leave us floundering. Thank you for your words or wisdom! God bless you.

5. Cheryl Plourde

March 1st, 2018 at 5:17 pm

Well said!! Praying it all get’s fixed soon. Thank you for sharing your life and your heart so honestly. This is good stuff…well, not the mold. 🙂

6. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:55 am

Thanks for the chuckle. Of course you posted this comment. Tehe. xoxoxo

7. doveeyes4

March 1st, 2018 at 9:56 pm

Totally feeling you on this one, and I imagine it’s a pretty universal dilemma unless you are one of those steadfast immovable saints that I’m always trying to be. Today I, too, will cast my cares upon God and believe Him for some audacious answers to prayer!

8. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:54 am

A-Men!!! So true!!

9. Anonymous

March 2nd, 2018 at 3:33 am

When I hear this type of wisdom knowing what you are going through, I am blessed!

10. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:54 am

xoxo

11. Laura Bennet

March 2nd, 2018 at 3:34 am

Yep. I’m with you. Hurricane Irma mold in our house too – the one my husband and kids are in because we’ve been separated for 7 months 🙁 BUT I’ve been finding such peace in God’s presence and the more I sit there, the less I worry. God already knew we’d be here and in everything he has a good plan. He’s been fixing some messy stuff in our lives and I’ve never been more at peace. Even in the midst of sorrow, joy and peace. How does God do that? So many little reminders all day long. I’m reminded right now that you’ve had an amazing testimony of God’s incredible plans beyond wildest imaginings! (That’s why Satan is pushing so hard, right?) I’m so praying for you right now – mold issue be done! And God do something unbelievable for this family. Mostly, let them feel your presence and peace and see your way through it all. Amen.

12. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:53 am

Yes he is! And, amen to your comment!!! God bless you, Laura. Seriously. xoxo

13. Sharon

March 2nd, 2018 at 7:44 am

Amen Dabney Praying with you for calm in the midst of trials. Our Lord’s got this!

14. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:52 am

He does. I needed to hear that. God bless you.

15. Marsha

March 2nd, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Praying with you for the tools you need to push through and to push back.

16. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:51 am

Thanks, Marsha!!!

17. Rae

March 2nd, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Love this! Perfect timing for me to read. Thank you!

18. dabneyhedegard

March 3rd, 2018 at 12:50 am

I needed this reminder, too!!! You’re the best, Rae!